Upper Mustang : Lo Manthang Trekking in Nepall !!
Upper Mustang (Lo Manthang) trekking is most mysterious and Mystical trekking in Nepal. This Land of Lo (Forbidden Kingdom); is known as Nepal’s cold & dry desert, lying under the Trans Himalayan region/ rain shadow. Mustang is the last enclave of original Tibetan culture. It’s your grand bliss that finally you are permitted to practice such a unique Kingdom within the Kingdom of Nepal. This trekking will be your one of the most memorable experiences. This area is a part of the Tibetan plateau, and is elevated, dehydrated and gorgeous. Best time to trek Upper Mustang starts from late march until early November. Someday trekking is too short and some days are long. The trek to Mustang is through an almost treeless barren landscape. The trek begins from Jomsom, place of strong winds generally howl across the area in the afternoon, generally subsiding at night.
Suggested Itinerary : 16 Days.
Day 01: Receive you in the kathmandu airport. Then transfer to hotel.
Day 02: Ful day sightseeing in kathamndu valley such as swayambhunath stupa, Boudhanath stupa, Hanuman Dhoka Durbar square and Pashupati nath Temple.
Day 03: Early morning drive or fly to Pokhara. Transfer to hotel.
Day 04: Early morning flight from Pokhara to Jomsom (2800m)
Day 05: Trek from Kagbeni to Chele (3050m)
Day 06: Chele trek to Geling (3520 m)
Day 07: Geling trek to Charang (3580m)
Day 08: Charang trek to Lo Manthang (3780 m
Day 09: Exploration day around Lo- Manthang
Day 10: Trek back to Tsrang (3500 m)
Day 11: Trek to Tangge (3,240m)
Day 12: Trek to Tetang (3040m
Day 13: Trek to Muktinath (3800m
Day 14: Muktinath to Jomsom (2800m).
Day 15: Fly to Pokhara and transfer to hotel in Pokhara or dive back to Kathmandu
Day 16: Drive by Tourist Bus to Kathmandu. Taking car drop you to your hotel.
Note: If trip commence from Kathmandu and ends at Kathmandu. It is supposed to be 12 days Annapurna Base Camp trekking tours which, is also known as Annapurna Sanctuary Trekking/Machhapuchre Base Camp trekking tours.
- 4 plus offer: If you collect 4-9 people in a group then US$ 45 discount on per person's price.
- 10 plus offer: If you collect 10 or more than 10 people in a group then US$ 40 discount on per person's price and one (Trip Leader) get free trip.
- Winter offer: If you travel in winter (December and January) US$ 50 discount on per person's price.
- Monsoon offer: If you travel in Monsoon (June and July) US$ 50 discount on per person's price.
- Early Booking Offer: If you Book a trip 6 months before the trip departure, you will get 5% discount from original cost.
PRICE QUOTE: All the Prices are in US$ Dollar per Person.
AVAILABLE: This date is available and open for booking.
GUARANTEED: We have reached minimum numbers and this trip is guaranteed for departure.
LIMITED: There are a very limited number of available places on this departure.
- If the above set departure dates are not suitable for you, you may choose your own departure date. These types of departures are best suited for solo travellers, couples, families, charity and small groups.
- Customized / Tailor-made itinerary are available on request.
Suggested Itinerary in details: 16 Days
Day 01 Arrive at Kathmandu airport (1348m)
Receive you in Kathmandu International Airport by our representative and transfer to hotel in Kathmandu or Planet Bhaktapur with BB plan. Short brief about the trekking after refreshment.
Day 02: Full day of sightseeing of Kathmandu valley:
After having Breakfast we take you for the sightseeing tour in Kathmandu Valley including Kathmandu Durbar Square, Monkey Temple, Pashupatinath Temple and Boudhanath Stupa. Overnight at Hotel. B.B
Day 03: Drive or Fly (20 min) to Pokhara around 6 hrs. Transfer to Hotel
Day 04: Early morning flight from Pokhara to Jomsom (2730m): The flight offers excellent views of Annapurna massif and with Dhaulagiri Himalayas. The trekking staffs such as guide and porter will fly together with you and start hiking for few hours and stop at Kagbeni (2800m). Kagbeni is a traditional town with medieval interesting alleys previously Tibet trade route. Upper Mustang trekking starts from this point and your trekking permit days are counted once you enter the check point here in Kagbeni. O/n Tea house.
Day 05: Trek from Kagbeni to Chele (3050m)
After breakfast start the trek from Kagbeni to Chele have to passes some beautiful village of Tangbe, that offers traditional houses and fields of barley, buckwheat and apple orchards with views of Nilgiri mountain and on the route several ridges we cross a stream after Chhusang village, leave the Kali Gandaki valley behind and go up further to the village of Chele. From Chele see the typical Tibetan settlements of Upper Mustang. Overnight at Tea house.
Day 06: Chele trek to Geling (3520m):
After breakfast this day the first part of the trek is steep trails arid desert like land. There see several eroded canyons, and interesting chortens along the trail. When reach the substantial height, have to descend down through pleasant trails to the ancient village of Samar and again have to go up a ridge of 3800 m, and pass through some gorges and valleys to reach the Geling village. Overnight at Tea house.
Day 07: Geling trek to Charang (3580m):
The trail is pleasant and the walk is softer today. The trail climbs gently up from Geling to an interesting pass and descends below the blue, gray and red cliffs. After crossing a steel bridge at Tangmar River we arrive to a Mani Wall, the longest and most spectacular in Nepal. Climbing over another pass at 3600 m, the route makes a long gentle descent to village of Charang. The huge five-story white Dzong (is a fort ) and red Gompa are the main attractions for visitors. The collections of statues and Thankas as well as many large paintings of seated Buddha’s are also equally interesting. Overnight in tea house
Day 08: Charang trek to Lo Manthang (3780m):
Trek to Lo Manthang (3780 m): From Charang we continue leaving some ridges behind and cross small streams before we finally reach a pass from where there is a view of the walled city of Lo Manthang. Descending further and crossing yet another stream, we climb up into the plateau of Lo-Manthang, the capital of Upper Mustang. Hiking near the walled complex is as rewarding as the tour inside the complex. Overnight at Tea house.
Day 09: Exploration day around Lo- Manthang:
Exploration day around Lo Manthang: Inside the walled settlement of Lo Manthang are the houses of local nobilities and important Gompa & monasteries. There are lots of things to visit here. After completing the tour of Lo Manthang, we hike or take a horse ride to the famous Nagyal Gompa which is about two and half hour walk, one way. Namgyal Gompa is situated on a hilltop, and serves as an important monastery of the local community and also as a local court. Overnight at Tea house. (B, L, D).
Day 10: Trek back to Tsrang (3500m):
On this day, trek descends around 15 km back to Tsrang village. During the evening visiting the Lo Gekor Monastery and stay overnight in Tent.
Day 11: Trek to Tangge (3,240m):
Trek to Tangee walking around 10 km. After an hour's walk from Tsarang, Kali Gandaki is crossed at about 3,170m. The crossing point is at the junction of the Kali Gandaki and Dhechyang Khola. The trail then heads south over a stony plain towards the valley of Tangee Khola and eventually climbs away from to the fields of Tangee. Overnight stay in tents
Day 12: Trek to Tetang (3040m):
This day trek around 25km to Tetang. One day is one of the longest day to get camp, cause we have to walk around 10 hrs: 30 Minutes. The trail is steep and rough with a lot of loose stone. Overnight stay in tents.
Day 13: Trek to Muktinath (3800m):
On this day we have to climb around 1100m up to the most famous view point to Gyula (4077m) then descend down around 200m to Jhong village and Chhenjar village. This village is farm land with barley fields and white washed houses. Overnight in Tea house in the main down town of Muktinath. From here you can see the main trekking trails of Annapurna full circuit. Stay overnight in tents.
Day 14: Muktinath to Jomsom (2730m).
On this day trek down to Kagbeni or trek along the way to Eklebhatti. Our guide will go to check point to show the upper mustang controlled region permit that you are already exit from Muktinath and will meet the group on the way. This is most important to clearance. When you arrive in Jomsom, Our guide will go to confirm the flight that you are going to be fly to Pokhara on the next day morning.
Day 15: Fly to Pokhara.
If you are going to visit some places of Pokhara, the guide will drop you there. Otherwise trip will finish here after landed in Pokhara. You can give something as Tips for the guide and porter when you are going to separate with them.
Day 16: Drive by Tourist Bus to Kathmandu. Taking car drop you to your hotel.
Includes in the Packages:
- Kathmandu International Airport transfer by private vehicles.
- 2 Night Hotels in Kathmandu/ Bhaktapur and 2 nights in Pokhara on BB plan.
- Flight from Pokhara to Jomsom and back to Pokhara round fares with domestic airport taxes.
- All land transfer as per given itinerary.
- Annapurna Conservation entry permits fees.
- Special controlled region permits for Mustang.
- Tented accommodation / or Guest house accommodation during the trekking.
- 3 meals in each day (Bf, Lunch Dinner) serve with hot drinks while on camping trekking days.
- Fully escorted trek with fluent English speaking license holder Local Mountain trekking Guide, professional cook, Sherpa & required porters as upon the group size.
- All kitchen and cooking equipment's during the trekking.
- All program according to itineraries on full board.
- Trekking equipment and other facilities to Nepali trekking staffs.
- Food, accommodation, salary and Insurances for all Nepali trekking crew.
- We will show you a special video documentary about Mustang region trekking in our office before your trip departure
- A special gift: through the Company “Gokyo Treks & Expedition (P) Ltd.
Excludes in the Packages:-
- Nepal entry visa fees.
- Travel Insurance (this is a mandatory condition of booking)
- Lunch and dinner during your stay in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Optional Excursions: optional excursions such are culture trips, ethno trips, and festival trips, monastery meditation with Lama & monks, nature medicine trips, bird watching, sports, farming trips and other incentive trips as per the client’s interest.
- Personal expenses e.g. phone calls, laundry, bar bills & extra porters.
- Hot Shower in during the trekking period
- Cost arising out of landslides, road blockade, and rescue of any form, cancellation of flight or reasons beyond our control.
- Personal equipment, nature or any donation.
- All types of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks
- Tips for the crew (Note: TIPS is not compulsory but expected)
- International Airfare and departure airport taxes.
Guest feedbacks / testimonials : -
I am writing to express to you and other readers that I had a completely wonderful trekking trip in Nepal in August 2011, organized by your company, Gokyo Treks & Expedition. We had 6 people 12 days trekking with your company guide Som, and three porters for the Upper Mustang Valley near the border of Tibet.
This trip was truly spectacular for its beauty - views of distant high snow capped mountains and trails that went into deep gorges with high cliffs of orange and red - each trail pass topped with a welcoming cairn and prayer flags. The dry desert area also allowed for wide open vistas and views of interesting rock formations. The cultural sites were also amazing - including the terraced fields, rock wall enclosures, religious monuments, monasteries, stone and mud houses, hilltop ruins of forts, Buddhist caves, irrigation canals, pack horses, goat herds, little tree plantations, yaks, and cattle, little villages with narrow alleys for people and animals, and children occasionally to greet us. Some monuments were over 1200 years old.
Gokyo Treks & Expedition Company was wonderful for organizing a somewhat customized trip for us two clients - they were very flexible as to timing and where we wished to go. Our guide Som was very well organized, made careful preparations, was very happy, always tried to please and got along very well with our two porters and owners of the guest houses we stayed in. Som did a lot of the cooking at the guest houses to provide us with some western style meals - great cooking Som!
Although not essential, a guide is really valuable for organizing logistics and on treks - finding accommodation and organizing meals, freeing you up for viewing. It was OK to have a porter help carry the gear too.
I would highly recommend the Gokyo Treks Company to anyone wishing to sight-see in Nepal - they did a great job for us.
Danilo Riva and my other five friends,
Upper Mustang Trek
Finally at home! We would like to thank you very much for the time we've spent together during the 12 days trekking. It was a real pleasure to trek with you to amazing Kingdom of Lo Manthang. We are happy to tell that we've already recommended your team to our friends. All of us are considering coming back to Himalaya Mountain.
We hope that we could meet again in the future it would be a pleasure for us to visit other regions with you, our friends! We don't know particular time of hypothetical visit, but I'm sure we'll keep in touch, so we can inform you about all our plans. Thank you and your company “Gokyo Treks & Expedition” 3days Chitawan tour organized perfectly, as well as the trek of course. Thanks for that too.
Pietro and Luca,
Equipments checklist: -
When selecting your personal items, keep in mind the number of days you'll be trekking, the time of year and the altitude. We advise our clients to bring these items:
Down Sleeping Bag, Down Jacket, Long sleeved shirt, Jumper or fleecy jacket
T - Shirts, Trekking shoes or boots, Comfy shoes for around the camp
Mountain trekking boots, Polypropylene/wool socks, Light cotton socks for under wool socks
Rucksack, Sun hat, Woolen hat, Gloves, Sun block for lips
- Goggles or sunglasses, Long underwear, Insulated pants Nylon windbreaker
- Nylon wind pants, Water bottle, Sewing kit, Medical & first aid kit
- Flash light, Batteries and bulbs, Swiss army knife, Towel and toiletries